Saturday, 4 March 2017

Retro Toy Chest Day 13 - Garbage Pail Kids


"Garbage Pail Kids is a series of trading cards produced by the Topps Company, originally released in 1985 and designed to parody the Cabbage Patch Kids dolls, which were immensely popular at the time" - From Wikipedia


Roy Bot by Dusty79 







This was inspired by Bucky and his idea to make these in 1/18th scale. Seeing his works in progress made me want to make one of these and when I saw Roy Bot I immediately began searching for an appropriate Transformer. I think this theme is genius and if these existed would sell very well to children of the 80's.

Parts:
Head: 1980's 4" Cabbage Patch Kid figure with added gun barrel
Body: Recent Ultra Magnus Transformer



Max Axe by bucky








Garbage Pail Kids are one of those things that if you had them growing up, you loved them. You'd get a pack every time Mom went to the gas station, while she commented on how disgusting they were. You'd trade with friends. You'd laugh at the names, you'd try to complete the puzzle you could make by collecting enough cards. I had quite the shoebox full of GPK growing up, sadly I don't recall what became of it.

An oddball idea to make some came about when I was thinking of things that I remember as a kid. There were alot of "controversial" (in their day anyways) GPK's.
Max Axe stood out to me, partly because it's a pretty violent depiction for a card set aimed at kids/teens. Probably tame by today's standards, but having a bunch of hacked up body parts in a basket catches your attention as a child. Once I had the figure figured out, I had to make the basket as well. I just couldn't pass it up.

Parts:
Head: 1980's 4" Cabbage Patch Kid figure, Sculpted mask
Torso: Cancelled JP figure
Arms: Cancelled JP figure
Legs: Snow Job
Weapon: Angel Forge
Basket: Hobby store


Adam Bomb by bucky 






There's one character that comes to my mind when I think of Garbage Pail Kids. The most Iconic of them all was Adam Bomb, and the idea to make him started during Retro Toy Chest part 1 from last year. It took awhile to figure out the "explosion" but once I had a slight idea on how to pull it off, it all came together rather quickly. The making the rubber bumpers look like part of the explosion was created using Elmer's Glue, which worked out way better than I had hoped for. I am very excited to have done this figure.

Parts:
Head: 1980's 4" Cabbage Patch figure, with sculpy, a Joe projectile, rubber cabinet bumpers, and Elmer's glue.
Torso: Snake Eyes Arctic PoC
Arms: 25th Wild Bill
Legs: Kwinn Retaliation
Weapon: Made out of Spirit's dart clip and the rubber leg bumper from inside a Joe figure
Vest: MiB figure




Next: Our Retro Toy Chest Contest entries and winner!

No comments:

Post a Comment