Wednesday, 22 February 2017

Retro Toy Chest Day 3 - Zelda and Batman



"The series centers on Link, the playable character and chief protagonist. Link is often given the task of rescuing Princess Zelda and the kingdom of Hyrule from Ganon, who is the principal antagonist of the series; however, other settings and antagonists have appeared in several titles. The games' plots commonly involve a relic known as the Triforce, a set of three omnipotent golden triangles.’’ – Synopsis from Wikipedia.org

The Legend of Zelda is a series of videogames that debuted in 1986 and, along with a few other iconic titles (Mario Bros, Duck Hunt, etc) helped put the original Nintendo Entertainment System on the map.


Ganondorf by Dusty79









From the desk of Dusty79:
I have always loved the videogame The Legend of Zelda. I have made several Link customs and this is just building on that earlier work. Battling against Ganondorf in Ocarina of Time on N64 when I got a bit older brought back great memories of the original Nintendo game from when I was a kid.

Parts:
Head: World of Nintendo Ganondorf
Torso, Arms, Lower Legs, and Cape: Thor
Upper Legs: 25th Destro 




"The Dark Knight Returns was a 1986 four-issue comic book miniseries starring Batman, written by Frank Miller, illustrated by Miller and Klaus Janson, and published by DC Comics. The Dark Knight Returns tells an alternative story of Bruce Wayne, who at 55 years old returns from retirement to fight crime and faces opposition from the Gotham City police force and the United States government. The story introduces Carrie Kelley as the new Robin and culminates with a confrontation against Superman."

Batman by bucky





From the desk of bucky:
For being one of the better Batman stories ever told, I honestly never read Dark Knight returns until sometime in high school. Maybe around 95-96? I was able to pick up a new trade copy at a comic store that was closing. I was aware of it's popularity, but in the 80's/90's, the emphasis was the art for me, not so much the story. I always had looked at the Frank Miller art as kinda hokey, and the style of it had always made me pass on this story. So I was not expecting much, but sitting down and reading this on a winter's night, I was blown away. I thought it was a fantastic story, and the art, though hit and miss at times, fit the story so well.

The custom itself was one of my more difficult translations I have come across, as there is a fine line in making a Joe sized custom and trying to stay true to Miller's art. I intentionally went with larger hands and feet to try to capture some of the look.

Parts:
Head: Angry Nomad's Cast
Torso: RoC heavy Duty
Arms: Roc Heavy Duty Upper/Road Pig Lowers, gloves sculpted
Legs: Wild Bill Upper/RoC Destro lower (with some sculpted boot)
Belt: Vortious Cast
Cape: Batman figure


Next: Oreobuilder calls on soldiers that claim that ''They Stand for Justice and They Never Lose!'' 

No comments:

Post a Comment