Saturday, 20 February 2016

Retro Toy Chest Day 6: The Adventure People


The Adventure People series of toys was introduced in 1975 by Fisher Price. The series, aimed at older children, included 34 play sets devoted to scuba diving, mountain climbing, space exploration, motor biking, parachuting and other adventurous pursuits.

I still remember when my parents buying a few Adventure People vehicles at a neighbor's yard sale. I must have been about 5 years old at the time. The Safari Adventure truck, Sea Explorer and Emergency Rescue Truck were my favorites. A lot of Joe missions were based around these awesome vehicles. Since I made the Safari Truck last year, I have been looking for an opportunity to reimagine more sets from this classic line.


Northwoods Trailblazers by Oreobuilder
The Northwoods Trailblazers set (312) came with the Jeep (in either orange or yellow), a canoe with two paddles and outboard motor, a blue cloth tent with plastic frame, and two figures: "Brad" with brown shirt and tan pants, and "Hawk" with white shirt, green pants and red hat.

My parents bought a bunch of Adventure People toys at a neighbor’s yard sale when I was a kid. The tent and canoe from the Northwoods Trailblazers were part of the lot and got a lot of use during GI Joe missions. Years later, I found out that a jeep was also part of the set. I made this custom set to replicate the original and also to serve as a companion piece to Big Jim’s Camper.












Jeep: Chap Mei
Canoe: Adventure Wheels
Tent: Adventure Wheels

Brad:
Head: Renegades Tunnel Rat
Torso, arms: 25th Spirit
Legs: 30th Barbecue

Hawk:
Head: 25th Trakker
Torso, arms: 25th Altitude
Hands: RoC Pit Commando
Upper legs: RoC Duke
Lower legs: 25th Barbecue


Next: bucky wants all of us to ‘’Play Well’’

2 comments:

  1. Again, posted the same at Hisstank. These are very awesome. I mentioned I have my original jeep, in orange like your recreation here. Out of curiosity, did the Chap Mei jeep come with that rollbar, rack, and snorkel? I have one that I made a custom out of, with the same chassis and body, but it came with a different roll bar set up so I ended up removing it and doing something completely different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work as always! Hope to see more of the Adventure People from you, in the same way you gave us the all original GI Joes & Adventure Team.
    Did you have to use such a mean looking head for Brad? He looks ready to punch someone. Tunnel Rat's head as Hawk is a great likeness.

    ReplyDelete