Wednesday, 8 July 2015

GI Joe Resurgence II Day 8: Gi Joe Cougar w. Treads and Switch Gears

''Following the disastrous events of Operation Waterfront where several Joes were taken prisoner by Cobra, General Hawk has tasked Chuckles to put together a team to find and rescue his men. Meanwhile, a new group of GI Joe recruits are tasked with finding out what Cobra’s new plan is. Little do they know that both missions will lead them to Gold Springs, a nice little town in the desert…''

GI Joe Cougar w. Switch Gears & Treads - Bravo Class vehicle
This high-tech infantry fighting vehicle’s cannon rotated into action in a surprise attack against Cobra! With a rotating gun, armored canopy, front-mounted grenade launcher and special desert camouflage! Includes driver TREADS and tank commander SWITCH GEARS!

Filecards by GITrekker


















From the desk of Oreobuilder:
I love tanks. In 50 years, GI Joe has had surprisingly few of them. It would be great if big H introduced more tanks and other tracked vehicles (that are not a HISS or a Snowcat) into the line. For that reason, I wanted to create a new tracked vehicle. I had an old Wolverine base to start with. First thing I did was swap out the missile launchers in favor of a cannon. After that, I wanted to give the driver some added protection and lastly, I added the forward grenade launcher just for wacky fun. Bonus: it fits on the Orca for amphibious deployment.

Switch Gears was made at the tail end of our Project New Sculpt this year. Bucky made a great regular version of the character. When I was looking for a tank driver for the Cougar, I thought it would be fun to do the Desert Patrol Squad version as a nod to the Valor vs Venom figure. During the course of the project, I toyed with replacing him for something different. He was in the line-up, then out of the line-up, then in again. Finally, I decided that the Cougar could include two figures and went with it.

Treads came about for a few reasons. First, Switch Gears was done early in the project. After a while, I started thinking that I wanted a new character to drive the Cougar rather than an existing one. Since we had few females in the line, I went in that direction. Also, the Cougar cockpit is a bit of a tight squeeze for modern figures. I did not want to scratch the paint of the driver when I put them in the seat, so I built Treads with a slighter build.

Treads:
Head: Chap Mei
Unmasked head: Marvel Lady Sif 
Torso, arms: Ret Lady Jaye
Legs: 25th Lady Jaye

Switch Gears:
Head, torso, arms: PoC Hawk
Upper legs: 25th Tripwire
Lower legs: Resolute Firefly
Vest: DTC Lowlight
Helmet: VvV Leatherneck

Cougar:
Base: Vintage Wolverine
Grenade launcher, turret: PTE
Canopy: Vintage Recon Sled (modified)

3 comments:

  1. Great stuff! I think Treads' head may actually be Lady Sif from the Thor action figures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The helmeted head is from Chap Mei. I also used it for my female tank jockey named Treds ;-) http://www.joecustoms.com/customs/customs_specific_item.php?kind=figure&alpha=T&page=2&id=15512

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Thomas, I forgot to mention that the unmasked head is Lady Sif. Who would not want the lovely Jamie Alexander on their team...

    Fereality, your custom is awesome. I guess you know what they say about great minds ;-)

    Seriously, thanks for looking guys. Really glad you are enjoying the project so far. Bigger and better things still lay in wait....

    OB

    ReplyDelete