Wednesday, 30 July 2014

GI Joe Resurgence! Day 30 - Orca w. Broadside and Riptide

Orca w. Riptide and Broadside – Foxtrot Vehicle 59.99$ MSRP
Look out Cobra! The Orca silently launches from the USS Flagg to invade Cobra shores. The anti-aircraft battery defends the ship while the dual 5 inch deck gun softens up enemy positions on the beach.  Features 2 decks, 2 opening ramps, accessories and can carry up to three GI Joe vehicles! Includes GI Joe naval commander Riptide and gunner Broadside! Other figures and vehicles sold separately!




























From the desk of Oreobuilder:
Last year, a friend of mine spotted the Playmobil Ferry and suggested it would make a good GI Joe Landing Craft. At the time, I had just finished my GI Joe Train, so I was not in the mood to start another largish vehicle project. Still, when I saw the set at a good price, I picked one up.  I unboxed it and fiddled around with it a bit, but by that time, other projects, namely the 50th Anniversary Tribute and Project New Sculpt, were in full swing, so the Landing Craft project got put on ice.

In March, Bucky and I started brainstorming for this project. The landing craft was in the back on my mind and I was not sure I wanted to do it, but I decided that this was a great opportunity to get off my butt and get it done.  I’m glad I did, I’m really happy with the way it turned out.

For the drivers, my goal was to do as little painting as possible, so I tried to choose my parts wisely.

10 comments:

  1. This is the one vehicle I might try if I'm feeling brave.

    How did you build the drivers? And where did you find their cool gear?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. The Orca is one of my favorites from this project.

    Broadside is a Steel Brigade torso and arms with Retaliation Storm Shadow' legs. The vest is from a line called PTE. The head is Ret Flint's and the Helmet is from Captain America.

    For Riptide, the torso and arms are from 25th Shipwreck (the second version) and the legs are from Tunnel Rat.The head is from RoC Ice Storm.

    OB

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO awesome and inspiring! Because of your customs, I will try to do my own effort and convert some vehicles from other lines into gi joe and cobra vehicles and use them in my diostory.

    I just found a really cheap playmobil ferry online that I am gonna buy and transform into "orca" and use it in my diostory... hope you dont mind! :D
    I would like to ask you about the recipe...
    about the width of the ferry... it can carry a mobat without modification right?
    Also, I see that the only major modification you did was adding some sheets on the side (front and back) right? Could you please let me know, what material did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kinds words. I'm looking forward to seeing your version of the Orca.

      For the width, it can carry a MOBAT without modifications. You can see on the above pictures, my custom Crusher tank is made from a MOBAT chassis, so it fits snuggly in the belly of the Orca.

      I used styrene sheets to add the side panels. This can be found at a hobby store like Michael's. It is easy to cut with a sharp hobby knife.

      I hope this helps and please feel free to ask any other questions :)

      OB

      Delete
    2. thanks so much! I am not a customizer and this will be my first custom project! Your work in the gi joe resurgence really inspired and motivated me (well and the lack of new vehicles by hasbro) to try this.

      Delete
  4. someone has been on a 1600 LCU. were you army or navy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliment. I have actually never served. I am a big military history buff and I try to integrate that into my customs when possible.

      OB

      Delete
  5. Wanted to know what you used for the mounted weapons?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Sorry for the delay. The weapon is from Star Wars. It is from a set that includes Leia and. Sail Barge gun. I simply removed the firing missiles and painted the gun in gray.

      OB

      Delete
    2. Also, the gattling gun on top of the control deck is from the GI Joe Eaglehawk.

      OB

      Delete