Wednesday, 25 December 2013

Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas and happy Holidays to all GI Joe fans. Enjoy time with your family and friends. This time of year is about good food and good company. It is a time to create new happy memories and relive old ones.

Personally, I always get nostalgic at this time of year. I have fond childhood memories of spending Christmas at my Grandparents every year. Since they lived about 4 hours away, we would make the trip and spend several days at their home during the holiday break. The whole extended family would come over on Christmas eve. For me, it was a chance to see aunts, uncles and cousins that I did not get to see much during the year. Around midnight, we would gather around the tree and fireplace and hand out the presents. Since there were at least 35-40 of us in the family, unwrapping presents was a crazy affair. Wrapping paper, boxes and ribbon flew in all directions. People were laughing and talking and singing and drinking.

After it was all over, we would sit down to a giant supper table and enjoy my Grandmother's cooking. She would cook and bake for days and weeks before Christmas. At midnight on Christmas eve, she would set out the turkey, stuffing, cookies, ham, fudge, sugar pie, meat pie and everything else she had lovingly made for us and we enjoyed our feast. Of course, I would just have a quick bite bite so I could run off and play with whatever toys Santa had brought me that year. I have fond memories of unwrapping a GI Joe Headquarters (from 1983), a Wolverine, a Polar Battle Bear with Snow Job and a few years later, Shipwreck, Barbecue and Alpine.

I remember staring at all these toys (and many more) for hours in the old Sears Wishbook and Consumers Distributing catalog. One of the magical aspects of the internet is being able to find all of these old catalogs online and reliving some memories.

With GI Joe's 50th anniversary coming up soon and the Tribute starting January 1st, I thought it would be fun to post some old catalog scans that may reignite the nostalgia.

Enjoy and be safe for the Holidays!

OB





















No comments:

Post a Comment